Wednesday, June 12, 2013

9 Years


Quintin likes his coffee black.  I like my coffee sweet, with cream and sugar.  It's a bit humorous to consider how much we both love coffee, and even more humorous to consider we'd probably give up the drink permanently given we had to swap drinks.

Our marriage is a bit like our coffee... one love, with two completely different expressions of that love.  Quintin and I are different!  You name it, and we most likely are on opposing ends of the spectrum.  He's the extrovert, and I am the introvert.  He says it like it is, and I do not, "I tiptoe".  He's concrete, and I am creative.  He is noise, and I am quiet (just take a car ride with us).  He is about the functional and I am about the aesthetically pleasing.  He likes his treats salty, and I like mine sweet.  He's easy-going and I am bit more tense.  And on and on...  And I am okay with, even thankful for our differences, because where it most matters, at the heart of our marriage, we are similar.

9 years ago today I married my opposite, and 9 years ago today we voiced "one" prayer, asking God to give us one heart and one way, that we would reverently fear Him for our good and the good of our children after us (Jeremiah 32:39).  And God, not Quintin, not Chelsey, God, has done so thus far.  He has preserved us, and kept us faithful, pressing forward in our marriage.  

I find my prayer today is all too like that of our first day, asking for ... one heart and one way... the Way, the Truth, and the Life... Jesus!  May we delight in our differences, but may we revel in the gracious "keeping" work of Christ, our one true and wondrous similarity! 

Praising God for 9 precious years with you Q, and pleading with Him for many, many more!  

No comments:

Post a Comment